Established in 1954 as the primary social service arm of the Catholic Church in the
Diocese of Greensburg
and rooted in the Gospel and social teaching of the church, our mission is to serve the human needs of individuals and families, regardless of their religious affiliation, and to provide leadership in building collaborative efforts with parishes and communities in addressing these needs.
The organization's governance and management policies, practices, and procedures meet the highest ethical standards for nonprofits in Pennsylvania.
Our mission was undertaken shortly after the diocese was established in 1951.
Bishop Hugh L. Lamb
invited religious sisters from Philadelphia to the new diocese to assess its human social service needs.
With the support of Bishop Lamb’s successors,
Bishop William G. Connare, Bishop Anthony G. Bosco
Bishop Lawrence E. Brandt
, Catholic Charities expanded its original pregnancy and adoption services to include counseling, comprehensive information and referral, and others.
Today, with the ongoing support of
Bishop Edward C. Malesic
, Catholic Charities remains committed to its mission to provide help and create hope for those in need throughout the four county diocese.
Catholic Charities fulfills the church's role in the mission of charity to anyone in need by providing compassionate, competent and professional services that strengthen and support individuals, families and communities based on the value and dignity of human life.